Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Day 1 - The Night Before School Starts...Ms. Chang, BHS Art Dept.

This post originally appeared on Ms. Chang's blog

So it's the night before school starts and I have to share with my students that I get nervous too...

Yup, teachers are nervous the night before school starts. I am entering my fifteenth year teaching at BHS and I still get anxious and nervous about what is to come. 

There are a few things that I do now as a teacher that I wished I knew when I was a student....

  • Get a good nights sleep- yes, just rest, let your mind rest and get the sleep you need. Try to make this a priority.
  • Breathe- I had a great workshop this year on Mindfulness by Caitlin Krause. Just pausing, being present and breathing is wonderful for relaxing and good for your brain.
  • Write lists- if something is on your mind, write it down-get it off your mind
  • Sketch-keep your sketchbook with you and use it daily, hourly, just doodling can help relax the mind
  • Enter each new school year with an open mind. There is always something new to learn and an open mind will help facilitate that learning

OK- so these are the typical steps that your parents and teachers share with you now I am going to share a more personal story- I didn't always like going to school. I felt isolated and alone. I was one of very few Asian American students living in a small suburban community and quite frankly it was quite difficult at times. 

So my advice to you if you find yourself feeling isolated or alone know that there are many other students who feel the same way. Know that you are not alone and know that we are here to support YOU! We want you to feel welcome and we want you to learn this year. If you are comfortable and happy you will learn more. So please reach out to us, please know that we are here for YOU!

My art teacher was my savior, she made ever student feel welcome and supported in her room and I hope to do the same for you. So come by room 217 anytime, make this space and the art room your second home; come by and create, relax and know that you are always welcome here!

No comments:

Post a Comment