Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Day 61 - My Experience Green Screening - Timmy Sullivan - BHS Senior

Timmy Sullivan Green ScreenEveryone should have access to a green screen.
For the second time since its installment in Burlington High School’s lower library, I used the green screen for an iMovie project. Why it has taken me so long to do so, I have no idea; it is an incredible piece of technology. Since I frequently pass through the lower library, as well as use the space for several club meetings, I often see students using the green screen to travel through time and space. For example, students making cooking videos for Italian are transported across the Atlantic, suddenly in an authentic Italian home; physics students take a rocket ship to space, where they are sucked up by black holes; history classes attend historic events, such as the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
Last week I used the green screen to enter the CustomerBloom Scholarship Program. During Burlington’s Thanksgiving break, I dedicated some of my free time to using the space to record a video of myself answering the question, “what motivates you?” I then edited my video footage using iMovie. Again, why it has taken me so long to use iMovie, I have no idea.
Using both pieces of technology with little prior experience was exciting. I had no manual to go off of, no experience to tap in to. I was exploring. I got to experiment with all of the cool features of iMovie; I played with volume control, green screen effects, music, and overall video editing. Using the green screen was also very enjoyable; I was nervous at first that it would not work, to then be pleasantly surprised at its power.
My overall takeaway from filming my video is that technology is a powerful tool for content creation. I know many students who aspire to have a future in film and advertising, for whom the implementation of green screening technology is an incredible vehicle for research, practice, and design. In addition to serving the few who hope to enter the film and advertising business, many other students find great enjoyment from green screening. Every time I see students using the tool, they are always smiling. Who can blame them- it’s fun! Tools like the green screen are essential in fostering classroom creativity and inspiring students to think outside the box.
If you are interested in watching my scholarship video, it is embedded below:

1 comment: