The bulleted points below highlight some of the key takeaways from the video.
- The biggest question for parents: Why are they teaching math so differently now than they did when we were growing up?
- We have decades of research that show that teaching people to memorize algorithms and execute procedures hasn't work for the majority of learners.
- With the technology available to people, being able to execute an algorithm in arithmetic to get an answer is a fairly useless skill.
- We need to teach kids to think and understand and use different strategies to solve problems.
- Research shows that when you give people a conceptual understanding of what's going on then it helps them understand concepts.
- Executing algorithms can be kinds of boring, but learning how to solve problems can be fun!