Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Day 62 - Sweet 16 Playlist - Joyce Carey, BHS History Teacher

This post originally appeared on The Devils" Playlist, the site of the BHS Music Club

Here is what Ms. Carey, an enthusiastic teacher and a member of the stellar BHS History Department, has to say about what she was listening to when she was sixteen. 
UnknownWhen I turned 16, I was a junior in high school.  It was 1986 and I had a bad perm.  We bought cassettes and had blank tapes so we could tape songs off the radio from our boom boxes.  It is hard as my 43 year old self  to reconcile my tastes when I was 16.  Although there are still some songs I have on my iPod and use in heavy rotation when I work out, most of the other stuff is pretty embarrassing.  Music-wise I was decidedly uncool, until there was a party at a friend’s house where they played (on a RECORD PLAYER) Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody.”  There aren’t many songs that I can point to and say – that was a turning point for me and music, but truly listening to “Bohemian Rhapsody” was.   After they played it we all wanted to hear it again, and I remember my friend Doug saying – “No, it only can be played once.”
I would like to say my tastes are better now – thanks in part to my husband who expanded my Springsteen base from “Dancing in the Dark.” This is what I was listening to at sixteen.

Ms. Carey was sixteen when musicians first started getting creative in developing their music videos, and when MTV actually played them. Here are a couple of videos that made it fun to wait all day for the MTV VJ to play your favorite song.
Dire Straits: “Walk of Life” – featuring Larry Bird and some amazing 80′s dancing
A-ha: “Take on Me” – considered a groundbreaking video at the time

No comments:

Post a Comment